Skip to content

What Should You Do If You’re Injured on Government Property?

Have you ever realized just how many buildings are classified as government property? From public libraries to schools and official government offices, there are thousands spread out across the country.  You can’t really escape them, even if you were actively trying to. So, if you have been injured in one of these places, what can you do about it? Who is liable, and where do you turn? Karns & Karns Personal Injury and Accident Attorneys have all the answers.

What Does the Law Say?

If you have been the victim of an injury in a government building, the law is there to protect you. In California, it is quite straightforward. A governmental entity is held to the same standards as any property owner. If there was a dangerous condition on the property that injured you, and the governmental entity knew or should of know about the dangerous condition, then they are liable for your damages.

What Counts as a Public Entity?

There is a long list of public entities that you can seek justice against. These include the federal government, state agencies and departments, municipal buildings, city buildings, public schools and even state universities.

Which Types of Personal Injuries Warrant Further Action?

There are some injuries like minor scrapes and bruises that really don’t justify filing a lawsuit or any further action at all. However, if you have got this far and you are reading our advice then it is assumed that something far worse happened to you. Any category from broken bones to traumatic brain injuries can be discussed further, especially if said affliction has impacted your capacity to lead a life as you normally would pre-accident. Our personal injury law firm can help give you the most suitable advice for your specific case.

Assessing the Consequences

Our trained attorney will sit down with you and take a look at all the ways you have been affected since the incident first occurred. These are the things we will uncover and explore.

Medical Treatment

Any medical treatment, whether it was in the past or still ongoing, is relevant. Provide as much evidence and information as possible that shows your injuries and how they have impacted you. This will be the best grounds to move forward with because this is the most direct, easy to prove, negative after effect of the accident. Medical bills cost money, especially the longer they go on for, and no one should have to take the on the burden of high medical bills when the incident was not their fault.

Medical treatment can include initial hospitalizations, diagnostic imaging, continued follow-up with health care providers, physical therapy, rehab care, surgery etc.  Serious injuries may require the need for extensive care in the future and possibly even life long care.  For instance, a spine injury or traumatic brain injury will require an intense amount of care to heal and regain independence. This will cost a lot regardless and it is not your responsibility to foot the bill.

Mental Health Toll

There is also a price to pay for the impact on your mental health. Accidents can cause depression and severe anxiety, even PTSD in some cases. It could take you years to heal from the mental wounds, and you should not suffer on your own without support.

Loss of Wages

You can also claim for any lost wages you have experienced during your period of illness. There are lots of reasons why you may not have been able to return to work, and the financial burden is extremely important to highlight.

Wrongful Death

We have a strong wrongful death attorney team here too, so if you did go through the loss of a loved one, we can help. This should also be a major focal point for your claim.

How Long Do You Have to Take Action?

Any personal injury accident lawyer here at Karns & Karns Personal Injury and Accident Attorneys will tell you that you have six months to make a claim and take action after your accident takes place. If you miss this window, i.e., the Statute of Limitations, then your claim may be barred.  That is why there is no time to waste, and you can call us now to start the process of obtaining justice.

What Steps Do You Have to Follow?

As mentioned above, our accident injury lawyers will be looking to first prove that there was some kind of dangerous condition that led to the event in question and all of the consequences thereafter. We can establish this fact if any of the following criteria are met and proven.

Potholes and Pavement Cracks

Yes, the government is responsible if you are injured because of the condition of almost all public roads. This is never more true than if a problem has been reported but not resolved. Filing a claim is easy with the help of experienced personal injury and accident attorneys.

Broken Traffic Controls

If you were in an accident either as a pedestrian or a driver, and it all happened because of a broken traffic light, then this is solid ground for filing a claim as well. We don’t need to tell you the potentially serious consequences of a traffic accident.

Improper Building Maintenance

If you are injured inside a government owned or funded building and it was because there were issues with the structure or maintenance, you are able to proceed.

Filing a Notice of Claim

A Notice of Claim is when you state your intention to bring a claim against the governmental entity you perceive to be in the wrong. Our attorneys will help because there are certain things that must be included and if you leave anything out, your claim may not be valid at all.

The expert team at Karns & Karns Personal Injury and Accident Attorneys is here to help. Do not delay picking up the phone and securing your confidential appointment.

Recent Blogs

Get Your Free Consultation