Approximately 4.5 million Americans are injured as a result of dog bites and dog attacks each year. Children are amongst the most vulnerable groups of individuals to be seriously or permanently injured by dogs. The majority of dog bites are typically caused by a neighbor or a friend’s dog.
If you or a loved one was injured by a dog bite or dog attack, you should immediately consult the experienced Southern California dog bite lawyers at Karns & Karns Personal Injury and Accident Attorneys to determine whether you are entitled to monetary compensation. Our legal team will aggressively fight for the settlement that you deserve and will help you get through this difficult period.
For a Free Dog Bite Consultation, Call 877-557-4221.
California Dog Bite
Under California Civil Code Section 3342, otherwise known as the Dog Bite Statute, a dog owner is strictly liable for any injuries caused by his or her dog. This means that the dog owner does not need to have knowledge of his or her dog’s dangerous propensities. They are simply liable for the dog’s actions, even if it is the first time the dog has attacked.
Dog bites and dog attacks can have physical, emotional, and financial consequences on all aspects of your life. Our Southern California dog bite attorneys have the knowledge of the law and are prepared to fight for your legal rights.
What To Do After a Dog Bite or Dog Attack
If you or a loved one is attacked or bitten by a dog, you need to take certain important actions to protect your legal rights. Our attorneys have outlined some of the more important steps that you need to take, including:
- Identify the dog that bit you.
- Identify the dog’s owner. Obtain the owner’s information, including name, address, and telephone number.
- Get the name, address, and telephone number of any witnesses to the attack. Generally, dog owners will deny an attack or a bite, fearing that their dog might be taken away or put to sleep. In such cases, a witness statement or testimony will be imperative in getting you the compensation that you deserve.
- Contact Animal Services Agency or Law Enforcement to file an incident report.
- Take photographs of your wounds, bruises, and clothing.
- Obtain medical treatment.
- Contact the Karns & Karns Personal Injury and Accident Attorneys for a FREE consultation.
We are experienced dog bite attorneys ready to make sure a negligent dog owner who causes you or a loved one harm is held accountable for the injuries and damage they cause. Call us today at 877-557-4221.