Wrongful Death Lawyers in los angeles
Losing a loved one is one of the most challenging experiences anyone can face. When that loss is caused by someone else’s negligence, the grieving process can become even more difficult. At Karns & Karns Personal Injury and Accident Attorneys, we strive to lessen the burden with our dedicated and compassionate legal services. Our Los Angeles wrongful death attorneys serve grieving families throughout Southern California, helping them seek justice and financial compensation for their devastating losses.
Why Choose Karns & Karns as Your Wrongful Death Attorneys in Los Angeles?
At Karns & Karns Personal Injury and Accident Attorneys, our Los Angeles wrongful death lawyers have extensive experience and success in helping families get justice after losing their loved ones. A few reasons why families choose us to handle their wrongful death cases include:
- Our case results. Our law firm has helped thousands of individuals secure compensation in personal injury and wrongful death cases. We have helped our clients recover more than $150 million in settlements and verdicts.
- Comprehensive legal knowledge. Personal injury law is all that we practice, so we have significant knowledge and experience negotiating and litigating wrongful death cases. We assist individuals and families who have lost loved ones as a result of many types of accidents. Whether you have lost a loved one in a Los Angeles car accident or a construction accident, we have handled a case like yours.
- Compassionate and dedicated representation. We understand that a wrongful death claim or lawsuit cannot compensate for losing your loved one. However, seeking justice may help with healing and closure. Our wrongful death lawyers in Los Angeles are here to take the stress out of the legal process. We shoulder the legal burden on our clients’ behalf so that they can focus on grieving and healing with their families.
- No fees until we win. Our clients do not take on any upfront fees when we take a case. Our clients pay us nothing unless we reach a fair settlement or verdict on their behalf. If we take your case, there is no risk to you in pursuing justice.
What Is Considered a Wrongful Death?
Under California law, the definition of wrongful death is the “death of a person caused by the wrongful act or neglect of another.” A few examples of wrongful death claims we handle include fatalities resulting from:
If your loved one’s death could have been prevented and was due to someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, it may be considered a wrongful death. We recommend discussing your family’s situation with a Los Angeles wrongful death attorney from our firm. We can help you understand whether you may have a viable claim and your potential legal options.
Who Can Sue for Wrongful Death in California?
Every state has its own law that governs who may file a wrongful death lawsuit after someone passes away. Only certain loved ones have the right to file a wrongful death claim. In California, California Code of Civil Procedure 377.60 lays out who may be eligible. These parties include the deceased’s:
- Spouse or domestic partner
- Grandchildren (if the decedent’s children are also deceased)
- Stepchildren and other minor children who were dependent on the decedent for at least 50 percent of their financial support
In some cases, anyone entitled to the deceased’s property under California’s intestate succession laws can also sue. For example, these parties could include the deceased’s parents or siblings.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Wrongful Death in California?
Understanding the time frame for filing a wrongful death lawsuit is crucial. In California, the statute of limitations or time limit for filing a wrongful death claim is typically two years from the date of the person’s death. This means you have two years to take legal action. If you fail to file a lawsuit within this period, you may lose your chance to pursue compensation forever.
Contact Our Los Angeles Wrongful Death Attorneys Today
At Karns & Karns Personal Injury and Accident Attorneys, we are dedicated to helping accident victims and their families seek justice and compensation. Contact our Los Angeles wrongful death attorneys for a free, no-obligation consultation if you have lost a loved one due to someone else’s wrongdoing.
We offer a free case review to discuss your situation and determine whether we can help you with your case. Call our Los Angeles office at (888) 779-1180 or submit our online contact form to schedule your consultation with us today.