We Help Boat Accident Victims in California, Nevada, and Texas
Have you or a loved one suffered serious injuries in a boat accident because of someone else’s negligence? If so, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your damages. At Karns & Karns Personal Injury and Accident Attorneys, we fight for boating accident victims throughout California, Nevada, and Texas. We may be able to help you fight for maximum compensation after a boat accident injury.
Schedule a free, no-risk consultation with our boat accident lawyers to discuss your situation. We can discuss your case and help you understand your best legal options for moving forward. Call us at (888) 779-1180 or reach out to us online, and we will contact you soon.
Types of Boat Accident Cases We Handle
At Karns & Karns Personal Injury and Accident Attorneys, we have extensive experience handling a wide range of boating accident cases. Our Los Angeles boating accident attorneys have experience practicing state, federal, maritime, and admiralty law. We handle cases involving all types of watercrafts, including, but not limited to:
- Personal watercrafts (PWCs), such as jet skis and wave runners
- Commercial boats
- Cruise ships
Additionally, boating accidents can occur in various forms, each with unique circumstances and potential injuries. Boat accidents cases we handle may involve the following:
- Watercraft collisions
- Collisions with fixed objects, such as docks and buoys
- Collisions with submerged objects, such as rocks or sandbars
- Flooding and swamping
- Falls overboard
- Slip and falls
- Ejections from the vessel
The Devastating Impact of Boating Accidents
Boating accidents can have devastating and long-lasting effects on the victims and their families. Injuries sustained in boat accidents can be catastrophic, such as:
- Head and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Broken bones and fractures
- Internal injuries and organ damage
- Drowning and near-drowning incidents
- Wrongful death
In addition to the physical pain and suffering, boating accident victims may also face emotional distress, diminished quality of life, and financial strain. You may be entitled to compensation if someone else’s negligence caused your injuries. Our boat accident attorneys aim to help accident victims secure the compensation they need to move forward after a serious accident.
Common Causes of Boating Accidents
Various factors can contribute to boating accidents. However, in many cases, negligent or reckless behavior is the cause. According to the most recent statistics from the U.S. Coast Guard, the most common causes of boating accidents include:
- Operator inattention. Distracted operators may not be aware of the vessels, passengers, or their surroundings. Inattention can lead to collisions with other boats or fixed objects.
- Operator inexperience. Boat operators may lack the necessary experience and knowledge to navigate the boat or watercraft. Inexperience increases the risk of accidents.
- Improper lookout. Failing to maintain a proper lookout for other watercrafts, obstacles, or changing environmental conditions can result in accidents due to a lack of situational awareness.
- Machinery failure. If the vessel’s machinery fails, accidents can occur. Examples of machinery defects include engine failure, electrical system failure, or steering malfunctions.
- Excessive speed. Traveling at high speeds reduces the operator’s ability to react to unexpected obstacles or other boats, leading to collisions.
- Alcohol use. Boating while impaired is one of the leading causes of boating accidents that result in fatalities. Boating under the influence impairs judgment, reaction times, and coordination.
Who Is Responsible for My Boat Accident Injuries
Determining liability in a boating accident can be complex. More than one party may share responsibility for the accident. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the accident, potentially liable parties may include:
- Boat operators. If the operator of your boat or another vessel involved in the accident was negligent, they could be liable for your injuries.
- Boat owners. Owners may be held responsible if they knowingly provided a poorly maintained boat, allowed an inexperienced or intoxicated individual to operate the vessel, or failed to provide proper safety equipment.
- Boat and equipment manufacturers may be liable if a defect in the design or production of their products contributed to the accident.
- Rental companies. If you were injured while using a rented boat or jet ski, the rental company could be responsible if it failed to maintain the vessel or provide necessary safety equipment.
- In some cases, passengers who engage in reckless behavior, such as interfering with the operator, may share responsibility for the accident.
Our experienced boating accident lawyers can thoroughly investigate the accident to determine its causes and identify all liable parties. Contact one of our offices today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
How Can a los angeles Boating Accident Lawyer Help Me?
The aftermath of a boating accident can leave you feeling stressed and unsure of where to turn, especially when coping with serious injuries. We recommend discussing your situation with an experienced boat accident attorney. An attorney can increase your chances of obtaining compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
A boating accident attorney in Los Angeles can help you from the beginning of your case to its resolution, including:
- Investigating the cause of the boat accident
- Obtaining and analyzing evidence, including witness statements, photographs, and expert testimony
- Identifying all liable parties, such as boat operators, manufacturers, or rental companies
- Evaluating the full extent of your damages, including medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering
- Negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf to obtain maximum compensation for your damages
- Litigating your case in court if necessary to fight for the justice you deserve
Schedule a Free Case Review With Our los angeles Boating Accident Attorneys
Have you suffered injuries in a boat accident? At Karns & Karns Personal Injury and Accident Attorneys, we have extensive experience representing boat accident victims. We handle cases throughout California, Nevada, and Texas. Our boating accident lawyers are ready to discuss your boat accident case and your best legal options for moving forward.
We offer a free case evaluation to discuss your unique situation. We can answer your legal questions and determine how we may be able to help you in your journey to recovery. Call us at (888) 779-1180 or fill out our online contact form and let us start reviewing your case.
Get Your Free Consultation
Frequently Asked Questions
At Karns & Karns Personal Injury and Accident Attorneys, personal injury is all we do. We handle a wide range of injury cases, including all types of motor vehicle accidents. For example, we represent victims of car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, and rideshare accidents. We also handle wrongful death, slip and fall accidents, dog bites, pedestrian accidents, dangerous and defective products, construction accidents, and many more injury cases.
"Damages" is the legal term for what you have lost in the accident. Damages generally fall into two main categories, economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages include monetary or quantifiable losses you have incurred, such as medical expenses, lost wages, and property damages. Non-economic damages are more difficult to quantify because they are non-monetary losses. Examples of non-economic damages include pain and suffering, depression, and loss of enjoyment of life.
Each state has its own time limit for filing a personal injury claim. This time limit is called the statute of limitations. In California, Nevada, and Texas, most personal injury claims will fall under a two-year statute of limitations. That means you have two years from the date of the injury or death to file a lawsuit. However, there are certain exceptions to these deadlines. Consider discussing your unique situation with an experienced personal injury attorney from our firm. We can help you understand how the statute of limitations in your state may affect your potential claim.
Most personal injury lawyers, like us, work on a contingency fee basis. Working on contingency means that you pay nothing upfront for legal representation. Instead, you only pay if you win your case through a settlement or verdict. You and your lawyer will agree to an amount, usually a percentage. If your case succeeds, that amount will be deducted from the verdict or settlement. If your case is not successful, then you owe the lawyer nothing.